This program has been developed to facilitate the learning of working professionals as well as recent graduates who wish to gain experience while they study. The old graduate school model of suspending your life for a period of 12-24 months is no longer feasible in a world of disruption and fast-paced innovation. This program is delivered in a flexible fashion over 18-24 months with weekly lectures delivered online and fitting seamlessly into your current life commitments. The practical and applied nature of this program includes a number of very exciting and engaging face-to-face workshops twice during your period of study. These take place every 6 months on campus and are unlike any lecture environment you will have experienced before. Each workshop is delivered over a 5-day period with practical skills and applied knowledge taught by the elite lecturing faculty alongside a number of highly-reputable guest lecturers from the world of sport and exercise psychology.
Delivery Method Video Sample
Click to Play
Final Project and Assessment
You will submit a final project following the completion of the six online courses. During the online element, you will receive guidance and mentoring from a faculty member who will assist you in the selection of a final project.
Upon completion of the MSc in Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology, students will be able to demonstrate knowledge, skills, and competencies in the following areas:
- The ability to critically evaluate the current knowledge, theory, and evidence base relevant to the discipline of sport and exercise psychology.
- To develop the advanced knowledge skills and capabilities required for effective sport and exercise psychology practice.
- To evaluate sport and exercise psychology’s role in the broader discipline of sport and exercise science and to integrate methodologies in an interdisciplinary manner.
- To utilize a range of appropriate practical techniques to enable a range of solutions to psychological challenges.
- To evaluate and apply appropriate research methods applicable to psychological inquiry
- The capacity to apply relevant ethical, legal, and professional practice frameworks and to maintain appropriate professional boundaries.
- To communicate effectively (verbally and non-verbally) with a range of audiences and to disseminate their work in a range of appropriate formats.
- The ability to synthesize information from multiple sources into comprehensive and appropriate support systems.
- To be able to reflect on one’s practice critically and to develop a professional identity
Graduates of this Master of Science in Applied Sport & Exercise Psychology are uniquely positioned for successful careers in a variety of different areas. Graduates will typically pursue employment as psychologists in sport, exercise, performance, or health at professional sporting organisations, NGBs, government-led councils, or in consultancy practices. There is also the doctoral progression options that lead into academia and lecturing/research opportunities. Many other students will operate as mental skills coaches and performance coaches in sport, exercise, and even business settings. Having a knowledge of psychology and how to enhance human performance is an indispensable understanding and can lead graduates to success in many job areas outside of psychology driven career paths.
Our Alumni are highly employable throughout the world. Currently, our graduates are engaged in the following sectors:
- English Premiership Soccer
- European Golf Tour
- US PGA Tour
- AFL Australia
- Australia Rugby Union
- England Rugby Union
- Irish Rugby Football Union
- French Rugby Federation
- World Rugby
- International Sports Teams
Candidates may be accepted onto the program who hold a bachelor’s degree or higher, with preference given to applicants with related subjects such as, but not limited to:
- Health & Fitness
- Sport Science
- Physical Education
- Physiotherapy/Physical Therapy
- Anatomy, Physiology
- Human Biology
- Dance Science, Movement Science
- Athletic Training/Therapy
- Strength & Conditioning
An appropriate professional qualification and at least five years of relevant experience
Special Case Registrations: Recognized Prior Learning (RPL) entry will be available for those without a related degree. Individual assessment will apply and applicants will be subject to interview.
English proficiency to be demonstrated through any of the following:
- High school/second-level exam in English with a grade of C or higher
- IELTS with an average overall score of 6.5
- TOEFL – 75 on the Internet-based test (iBT) or a 510 on the paper-based test (pBT)
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) with a minimum of 67 points in each element
- Students also can qualify by taking a standard college admissions test, such as the ACT or SAT and perform well on the English sections of the tests. Generally, students must score at least an 18 on the English and Reading sections of the ACT and at least a 510 on the evidence-based reading and writing sections of the new SAT
Designed, Validated and Accredited by Industry Experts and Organizations
The Master of Science in Applied Sport & Exercise Psychology is a joint programme by Setanta College and Irish American University.
The Master of Science in Applied Sport & Exercise Psychology is awarded by Irish American University under its accreditation by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, one of the world’s leading accrediting bodies.
Furthermore, Setanta College Professional Advisory Board, other subject matter experts, and international sporting organisations have informed, reviewed, and approved the program content. This includes World Rugby, the Titleist Performance Institute and the NSCA (National Strength & Conditioning Association) who recognize our programs and qualifications.